Technology Enterprise Services (TES) aims to provide employees with robust technology infrastructure and strategic workplace solutions to deliver a consistent employee experience around the world, while managing information security and data integrity. Teams are aligned to support the firm’s functions; Business Relationship Management (BRM), Enterprise Security (ES) Global Digital Workplace (GDW), Global Technology Infrastructure (GTI), Global Information Security (GIS), Global Real Estate (GRE), and Global Shared Services (GSS).
The Data Center & Engineering teams are responsible for Data Centers operations. Our data centers house mission critical systems that support Blackrock’s businesses. These facilities operate 24/7 and risks must be managed to allow for continual operational up-time.
The Chief Engineer will be responsible for the operation and maintenance of a 50,000 square foot BlackRock owned data center. The facility includes a 75 person office that houses a network operations center. The Chief Engineer will report to the Global Director of Data Centers & Engineering. Responsibilities include the management of all data center engineering and technology personnel, all facility and grounds maintenance, and other site support functions. The successful candidate will be accountable for the operational performance readiness, reliability, and integrity of the mission-critical infrastructure systems and IT systems, which include the following:
Air Handling Units (AHU’s), UPS’s, PDU’s, Generators, Fuel Pumps and Fuel Storage, Switchgear, Utility Feeds, Transfer Switches, Pumps, Water Piping, Fire Detection, Fire Suppression, Access Control, Monitoring, SCADA, and Leak Detection systems. The candidate must have knowledge of the racking and stacking servers, the installation of network cables & fiber, and the repair of minor server issues.
The successful Chief Engineer’s candidate must have background in a mission critical environment. They must have an understanding of how these systems function and be capable of performing corrective measures. This includes resetting alarms, operating breakers and switches, operating transfer switches, starting back-up systems, etc. He or she will also be responsible for the supervision of all Data Center Engineers and manage all service contract providers that support the facilities Infrastructure and technology systems.
• Understand the engineering design and operational aspects of Data Center Critical Infrastructure Systems and equipment in order to immediately recognize system issues and respond to operational and emergency situations.
• Management of the overall facility and all data center personnel.
• Data Center Budget management.
• Project Management of site MEP and IT Projects.
• Ensure adherence to all BlackRock standard operating procedures, method of procedures, and emergency response procedures established for the mission critical environments and systems.
• Conduct routine and ongoing assessment of the infrastructure systems operations. Perform tests, rounds, and analyze data to assure the proper functioning of all equipment.
• Review and improve preventative maintenance procedures for all critical infrastructure systems.
• Ensure there is appropriate 24/7/365 coverage and emergency response to infrastructure and IT equipment failures.
• Work closely with the Global Critical Engineering & Global Technology teams to provide guidance/expertise on design goals, operational characteristics, and infrastructure systems to ensure efficient, maintainable operations.
• Management of the Racking and stacking of servers.
• Process Data Center Work Requests.
• Remote technical support for all functional IT Teams.
• Responsibility for the DC change management process.
• Tape rotations and custody transfers.
• Implementing Data Destruction procedures.
• Inventory management including the Shipping and receiving of all Data Center equipment.
• Management and coordination of cleaning services.
• Management and maintenance of all grounds associated with the site.
• Daily logging of environmental and electrical data.
• Installation of network cabling infrastructure. This includes terminating and testing fiber, Cat 6, and COAX cables.
• Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Facilities Engineering, Data Center Operations, Military, or equivalent related life experience preferred.
• Ten years of mission critical building engineering, facilities management, data center management, or related experience.
• Strong knowledge of mission critical cooling systems, power systems, mechanical systems, and fire suppression systems.
• Project management skills.
• Electrical or HVAC licenses a plus.
• Working familiarity with Microsoft Office, Outlook Auto Cad and Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) software.
• Candidate must be available for shift work, weekend work, and on-call escalated problems on a 24/7 basis.
Internal Number: R191061
BlackRock helps investors build better financial futures. As a fiduciary to our clients, we provide the investment and technology solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of December 31, 2017, the firm managed approximately $6.288 trillion in assets on behalf of investors worldwide. For additional information on BlackRock, please visit www.blackrock.com | Twitter: @blackrock | Blog: www.blackrockblog.com | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock